BECOME A TBB STUDENT
If you are looking for academic help and are in Grades 9-12, then you have come to the right place! Tutoring Beyond Borders offers 100% free tutoring services, and we are here to help students that are unable to afford paid tutoring lessons due to different circumstances.
To become a TBB student and stay in our free tutoring program, please follow these steps (click on the + sign to open each toggle):
We would love to help everyone, but that is just not possible. As a charity, our focus is to help those that cannot afford tutoring lessons, and we must stay true to our values. Therefore, we only accept student applications that meet the following requirements:
- Student must be in Grade 9-12, taking a Grade 9-12 course in the Ontario curriculum
- Student must require academic assistance, either to improve their grades or to improve their understanding of course concepts
- Student must be able to converse in English
If you are eligible and meet all of our requirements, TBB will work hard to find a suitable tutor for you. If you are not eligible, your application will be rejected.
Important Note: Although anyone who meets the eligibility requirements may apply, priority will be given to applicants who are unable to afford regular, paid tutoring services. The online application form will have an optional section that helps TBB screen for these students.
Once you have confirmed your eligibility to apply for TBB’s free one-on-one tutoring services, it’s time to fill out our application form!
Before you begin, please remember that our tutoring lessons are governed by the following core rules:
- Each student is matched up with only one tutor for the duration of their chosen course/subject
- Each student will receive a maximum one hour per week of tutoring from their assigned tutor
- Each student may only pick one subject to be tutored in
- Every lesson must take place in a public location, no exceptions
- When a student misses three lessons without valid reasons, our services will be terminated and a notice served to the student
- For a list of all our policies, click here
When you are ready to apply, just click the button below to go to the application form.
All applications are screened carefully, and TBB’s decision to accept or reject your application will take place within 1-2 weeks. Should your application be accepted, we will let you know whether a tutor is available, or whether you will be placed on a waiting list.
At TBB, our “Match-Up Meeting” is unique to our tutoring services. We ask that the tutor, the student (and his/her parent(s) or guardian(s) if below 18 years of age), and a member of the Executive Team to attend a meeting to introduce the student to the tutor.
At this one-time, 15-minute meeting, the following topics will be discussed:
- Tutor and student will introduce themselves to each other
- Student will explain:
- What subject and grade he/she needs help in
- What topics he/she requires the most help with
- Tutor and Student will:
- Decide what course of action to take
- Decide the location, day and time of weekly tutoring lessons
- Exchange contact information with each other
- When everything is set, the student is required to sign a consent form (a.k.a. Student Waiver & Release of Liability Form)
A Match-Up is not complete without the student signing the Student Consent Form, and tutoring may not begin until this form is signed. A copy of the Student Consent Form is provided here for your perusal.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Match-Up, please contact email@example.com.
Once you start your lessons, you are allowed to meet up with your tutor once a week for a maximum of one hour for as long as you want, or until your tutor is no longer available.
You, as the student, must keep the tutor updated on your progress and topic(s) to be discussed during lessons. Please contact your tutor to let him/her know what topic(s) you would like to go through ahead of time and be sure to bring relevant course material to the lessons.
Most importantly, stay in touch with TBB! We rely on all of our tutors and student to keep us updated on any issues and changes to ongoing lessons. It’s your job to let us know if you can’t reach your tutor, if you don’t need our services anymore, or if you can’t show up to a lesson.
Contact us at 519-577-4822 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have an update for us, or if you have any questions.
Caveat #1: The acceptance of an application into Tutoring Beyond Borders’ tutoring program is no guarantee for academic success at the conclusion of each tutoring session or program.
Caveat #2: Any personal information collected from you cannot be disclosed without your consent pursuant to the provisions of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) of 2004. Any information that you collect from a tutor also cannot be disclosed by you pursuant to PIPEDA.